Ravn R. Whitington
Ravn R. Whitington is a partner with Porter Simon and is licensed to practice in California and Nevada. Ravn grew up in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, in Nevada City, before pursuing his education on the East and West coasts. Ravn started his career as a public defender for the State of Colorado where he honed his trial skills and obtained acquittals on a number of serious felony cases. Ravn returned to California to transition to civil litigation practice, working for a multi-national law firm in Truckee defending Lake Tahoe ski resorts against catastrophic personal injury claims. Ravn joined Porter Simon’s Trial Practice Group nearly a decade ago to broaden his practice and to focus on the representation of individuals and small businesses. Since joining the firm, Ravn has litigated, arbitrated and advised on a broad array of cases and disputes, ranging from personal injury to employment, real estate to construction law, and all matters in between. Ravn thrives in all phases of litigation and is dedicated to client-driven results, whether negotiating a resolution prior to litigation or taking a case to trial. Where the courtroom is Ravn’s office, the mountains are his playground. Ravn and his wife enjoy skiing, mountain biking and backpacking with their daughter and canine companion.
Personal Injury Practice:
Ravn has obtained significant monetary recoveries for personal injury clients throughout Northern California and Northern Nevada in cases ranging from car, truck and motorcycle accidents to sexual assault, premises liability and wrongful death. Ravn’s success is grounded on a compassionate, client-focused approach with the attorney-client relationship built on trust, communication and disclosure. In a typical personal injury case where the negligent party, insurance companies and medical providers treat the client as a faceless number, Ravn puts the client at the forefront, emphasizing the client’s individuality. His approach, in combination with a tactical understanding of the evidence and arguments necessary for persuasion, has enabled Ravn to maximize monetary recoveries and minimize medical liens for his clients.
Construction Litigation Practice:
Ravn counts a number of the region’s premier residential contractors as his clients. As counsel for such clients, and having also represented numerous homeowners, Ravn has successfully resolved and litigated disputes concerning construction contracts, mechanic’s liens, sub-contractor performance, construction defects and indemnification and defense.
General Litigation Practice:
Ravn has negotiated, mediated, arbitrated and litigated a myriad of disputes and cases of varying nature and magnitude. He has represented employees and employers, landlords and tenants, buyers and sellers, trustees and beneficiaries, associations and members, owners and patrons, and neighbors. Each dispute calls for a unique approach and Ravn is adept at crafting solutions or turning adversarial, as necessary.
Notable Representative Matters:
- Obtain multi-million dollar recovery for client injured in motorcycle-automobile accident resulting in amputation of client’s lower leg. Washoe County, Nevada.
- Obtain seven-figure recovery for client injured in automobile vs. multiple tractor-trailer accident resulting in catastrophic injuries. Pershing County, Nevada.
- Obtain six-figure insurance policy limit and excess monetary recovery for clients in wrongful death case involving a commercial semi-truck accident. Nevada County, California.
- Obtain six-figure monetary recovery for client who was subjected to gender employment discrimination and wrongful termination. San Francisco County, California.
- Obtain favorable negotiated resolution in defense of construction client in wrongful termination case. Placer County, California.
- Obtain dismissal of criminal charges and six-figure monetary recovery for clients in civil asset forfeiture case. Nevada County, California.
- Successfully defend tenant in multi-million dollar breach of lease arbitration against landlord. El Dorado County, California.